As the ICT services provider for the University of Liechtenstein and for Swiss universities, SWITCH has been entrusted with a key task since the early stages of the internet: the foundation acts as a domain name registry, managing all domain names with the .li and .ch ending in the global Domain Name System DNS. SWITCH carries out this task on behalf of the Office for Communications of the Principality of Liechtenstein (AK) and the Swiss Federal Office of Communications (OFCOM).
The work of a domain name registry carries significant responsibility, as the DNS is an essential precondition for a functioning internet. The DNS for .li is an invisible yet hugely important service. As an independent foundation, SWITCH puts its significant technical expertise to work to fulfil this demanding task.
SWITCH's tasks as a registry
- Maintenance of the central database of all .li domain names
- Operation of the Domain Name System (DNS) for the Top Level Domain .li
- Support for DNSSEC
- Assistance for our registrars
- Up-to-date Whois database of all .li domain names
- Commitment to a safer internet: active combating of cybercrime
- Operation of a dispute resolution service